Title Info

 

    Province:    

      City:  

Related Links:

Quick Links:


Jade Spring park Lijiang

Located on the northern edge of town, exactly at the foot of Elephant Hill, the Jade Spring Park is green with grass and shaded by swaying willow trees, including some fit-in buildings like Five - Phoenix Tower, Moon - Embracing Pavilion and Suocui Bridge. The park is also called Black Dragon Pool (Heilongtan) Park. The Dongba Research Institute and a small museum constitute a renovated complex on the hillside offering Dongba scrolls and artifacts on display.

Dongba culture originated in the primary polytheistic Naxi religion, which incorporated elements of Lamaism, Buddhism, and Daoism. The Dongba scriptures comprise a series of more than 20,000 books done in Naxi pictographs along with more than 2,000 hieroglyphs - a form of writing invented by the Naxi people more than 1,000 years ago. The name itself, Dongba, is the name applied to the shamans of this culture - wise men who combined the functions of witch doctor, scholar, craftsman, and artist.

Jade Spring Park covers an area of 11,390 square meters and includes many distinctive and ravishing sites. When entering the park, you will see a charming white marble bridge lying across the emerald water. It is the Suocui Bridge. The symmetrical five bridge holes make a beautiful inverted reflection in water, together with Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, Elephant Hill, the sapphire sky and the white clouds thereinto. Dragon God Temple (Longshen Temple) which is at the east of the park was built by the local Naxi people in 1737 and was given the title of 'Dragon God of Jade Spring' by Emperor Qianlong of the Qing Dynasty in the same year. At least 500 kinds of flower are planted in the garden and the temple now serves as an exhibition hall for seasonal horticultural shows and art displays. Five-Phoenix Tower is located at the north end of the park. It is built in the 29th year of the Wanli reign of the Ming Dynasty (1601).