It possesses the population of 4.8396 million.
Situated to the southeast of Boyang Lake, Nanchang is a little north of the middle of Jiangxi Province. It is located between 115. 37 and 116 degrees East Longitude and 28. 35 and 28. 55 degrees North Latitude. Its southeastern part is flat while northwestern part is characterized by undulation hills. On the average it is 25 meters above sea-level with the highest peak of the Meiling Mountain 841.4 meters above sea-level. The Ganjiang River and the Fuhe River flow through the city. The four scenic lakes by the names of East, South, West and North beautify the city area.
Belonging to the East Asia monsoon region, Nanchang enjoys a warm climate and abounds in rainfall. Its annual average temperature is 17.5 degrees Celsius, average rainfall 1,600mm, and frost-free period 278 days. It is an important provisions production base in Jiangxi Province.
Over 5,000 years ago, ancestors of present-day residents used flint implements to exploit this rich land. The town was first built in 200 BC. In the fifth year of the reign of the Han Emperor, Gaozu (202 BC), Yuzhang Jun (Jun was an ancient administrative division equal to a present-day prefecture) was set up, which governed a county named Nanchang.
Nanchang is a beautiful city with the Gan River, the mother river of local people, traversing through the whole city. Water is her soul or in other words water carries all her beauty. Lakes and rivers in or around Nanchang bring a special kind of charm to the city. Nanchang is honored as 'a green pearl in the southern part of China' thanks to its clear water, fresh air and great inner city virescence.
Its industries include machinery, automobile, tractors, light textiles, electronics, iron and steel, chemicals, and paper making.
The city boosts such scenic spots as Bada Shanren (alias Zhu Da, an early Qing painter [ 1624 or 1626-1705]) Exhibition Hall, All flowers Islet, West Lake, Water Guanyin (Goddess of Mercy) Pavilion, and the Former Headquarters of the Nanchang Uprising. The Prince Teng Pavilion towers at the bank of Gan River. The original pavilion was first built in 653 in the Tang Dynasty (618-907). It was rebuilt during the reign of the Ming emperor Jingtai ( 1450-1456 ) outside the Zhangjiang Gate.