The Stele Forest Museum which was established in 1090 during the Northern Song Dynasty is located in Xian city, not far from the Bell Tower. The museum is famous for a fine collection of more than 1,000 inscribed stone monuments engraved during the period from the Han to the Qing dynasty. The stele forest is housed in Xi'an's 11th century Confucius Temple, which is one of the most renowned Confucian Temples in China. The Stone tablets whose ages range from 4,000 years to 20th century, were collected over the past 900 years from around China.
The museum which covers an area of 30,000 square meters is divided into four major exhibition halls, which mainly displayed ancient calligraphy, historical records and stone carvings.
Exhibition Room One displays the text of the twelve Confucian classics carved on 14 steles. Hall Two displays steles of calligraphy inscribed by many famous calligraphers of the Tang Dynasty, such as Ouyang Xun, Yan Zhenqing, Liu Gongquan, Zhang Xu, Huai Su etc. Hall Three contains the steles from the Han to the Song dynasties. Hall Four shows the works of poetry in the handwriting of the famous calligraphers from the Song to the Qing Dynasties.