The Wuhou Temple (Wuhouci), located on the outskirts of Chengdu City, was built in the sixth century to commemorate Zhuge Liang (Kongming), known for his faithfulness and great wisdom. Zhuge Liang, the Prime Minister of Shu in the Three Kingdoms (220-280AD).
The temple covers 37,000 square meters (398,277 square feet). The temple was originally built by Li Xiong of the Western Jin Dynasty (265-316AD), 400 years after Zhuge Liang's death. It was combined with the Temple of Liu Bei (Emperor of the Kingdom of Shu in the Three Kingdoms Period 220-280) at the beginning of the Ming Dynasty. Consequently, the entrance plaque reads 'Zhaolie Temple of Han Dynasty' (Zhaolie is the posthumous title of Liu Bei). The current temple was rebuilt in 1672. Surrounded by old cypresses and classical red walls, the temple evokes nostalgia.
The main construction faces south with five consecutive sections, the main gate, the second gate, Liu Bei (Emperor of Shu) Palace, an atrium and Zhuge Liang Palace. The most valuable cultural relic within the temple is the stele set up in 809. This huge stele is 367-centimeter (144-inch) high and 95-centimeter (37-inch) wide. The epigraph was composed by Pei Duo, a famous prime minister in the Tang dynasty (618 ~ 907A.D.), then written by a famous calligrapher named Liu Gongquan and finally engraved on the stone by Lu Jian, a well known craftsman. So it is called "Tablet of Three Excellence".